Skip to content
About Our Programs
What’s the marching band season like? (late July – October)
- It’s fun! Students work hard and have a blast doing it. As parents or guardians, the more involved you are, the more fun you have.
- The marching band is a supportive, close-knit group that promotes teamwork and builds a healthy sense of competition.
- The Air Academy Marching Band season kicks off with Mini Camp soon after school ends in late May/Early June.
- Sectionals occur weekly throughout the summer months. Each section gets together to practice, learn the music and some steps!
- Band Camp takes place 2 weeks before school starts in late July/Early August. Learn the new program drill, fine-tune those marching and musical skills.
- During the School year: the marching band rehearses after school a few days after school during the marching season.
- The Thursday after school rehearsals feature a fun dinner break provided by section parents. Come with dinner and stay for the weekly Kadet Krew meeting!
- Competitions take place several times throughout the season, frequently on Saturdays. If you’ve never been to a marching band competition, you’re in for a treat!
- We also perform for our home crowd (the Kadet Krazies!) at halftime of AAHS home football games (usually on Friday).
What’s the concert band season like? (November – May)
- After marching season, we switch things up and go into concert band season. Students audition and are placed in either Symphonic Band or Wind Ensemble.
- The bands, including Jazz band, compete in local, regional, and state competitions.
- We perform several concerts at Air Academy – generally a holiday concert and a spring concert.
- Winter Guard participates in WGI and state competitions.
- We march in the Colorado Springs Festival of Lights parade in December.
- We play for several AAHS home basketball games as part of Pep Band.
- The band performs at the AAHS Graduation ceremony.
- Students are encouraged to audition for outside city and state honor bands; participate in individual competitions; and take part in other performance opportunities.