It’s the responsibility of all AAHS Band Students to make sure their uniforms are in good condition and are inspection-worthy for all performances. Yes, this affects our scoring!
NOTE: Washing a uniform too frequently may cause it to fade or wear differently, so gentle spot cleaning with a damp cloth should be attempted first. Uniforms should only be washed if they become severely soiled or have a noticeable stain (e.g., blood).
BEFORE WASHING INSTRUCTIONS
- REMOVE Front Silver Sash (that snaps on) from jacket return to bag for safe keeping (DO NOT WASH)
- Clean with a damp washcloth if needed
- LEAVE skirt attached as not to expose snaps, exposed snaps can damage the uniform
- Fold the Jacket inside out and ZIP CLOSED. This protects the buttons from being damaged
- Turn Bibs INSIDE OUT and SNAP/ZIP CLOSED and CHECK THE POCKET for candy/gum
- Stains on the uniforms should be treated PRIOR TO WASHING with products like Shout, Zout or Oxiclean
- Check the garment after washing to make sure the stain was removed.
- Check the inside collar before and after washing, especially on the girls uniforms (pretreat for makeup).
- Use a “clear and free” laundry detergent and confirm that it DOES NOT have a chlorine base
- DO NOT USE BLEACH OR USE FABRIC SOFTENER
- Wash Bibs and Jackets in SEPERATE loads
- Wash the shirts with the bibs
- Wash Gauntlets in SEPERATE load (nothing of color in this load)
- Velcro matching gauntlets together prior to washing – it will make it easier when you are putting them back
- If washing doesn’t remove all dirt from gauntlets, soak in Oxiclean for 10 minutes and rewash, soft bristle brush works well for stubborn stains on cuffs
- DO NOT BLEACH
- Uniforms should be washed in COLD WATER on a GENTLE / DELICATE CYCLE only
- DO NOT USE FABRIC SOFTENERS, they interfere with the performance wear characteristics and coat the fabric blocking the fabric’s finish interfering with the anti-stain, wicking and breathability of the garment
- DO NOT OVERFILL the machine. HALF OF A LOAD is the maximum recommended
- REMOVE UNIFORMS IMMEDIATELY upon cycle completion
- Do not leave the uniforms wet in the machines for an extended period
- SHAKE UNIFORM & HANG TO AIR DRY, heat in the dryer will break down the weave of the fabric and void the warranty!
- DO NOT IRON!
- Turn bib RIGHT SIDE OUT and FOLD IN HALF over hanger, turn Shirt and Jacket RIGHT SIDE out and hang over pants, reattach sash
- Put Gauntlets in back zipper pocket (in plastic bag if it is available)